Friday, August 14, 2009

My Relationship With Communication Technologies (Week 3)




How come? 
Well I've never really been one to follow trends. While I get the advantages of having a facebook... 1. You have a constant presence with everyone you know & 
2. you can spend lots of time playing games and quizzes about "which Friends Character you are"... Wait, did I say advantages? haha
No but seriously I get that it's a nice way to stay in touch with your family & friends who perhaps live in another state/country/planet... But when did the good old fashioned letter, or email go out of fashion? The moment face book came on the scene is when. 
The public display of your life is unsettling. An example of the harm it can cause is this:
My friend is a dancer. This guy is obsessed with her. He makes up a fake profile of himself, pretends he's a professional dancer from the US. She accepts him as a friend. All of a sudden this freak has access to her whole life. Her friends, where she lives, what she does... And she has no idea.
I believe we're some how losing the charm of real human interaction. Anyway, I've been told that I'm an old soul before and I guess I believe it after reading over this rant of mine. 
A space on the internet for just anyone can be a dangerous thing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment